Yesterday I woke up in a slight panic- the "worst case scenario" had happened.
It was the coldest night in Dallas in 15 years and I woke up at 6:00 am to no power. I immediately called my mom, because that's always what you should do when you're panicking. My throat was killing me and my apartment was getting colder by the minute. I closed my sheer curtains as if that was actually going to help keep the cold out. A ton of cold air was coming in through my fireplace, but I didn't have wood. For about 8 seconds I actually contemplated burning old books or clothes that are too big...luckily I snapped out of it.
After layering on clothes and snuggling up in bed, I realized...this is what cavemen went through! Except they didn't have candles to light, or matches to light them with, or a soft bed or a secure apartment. I have some serious respect for prehistoric humans! I was so thankful to at least have my iPhone so I could stay in contact with the rest of humanity.
I feel so awful for the homebound elderly and disabled during this "SUPER STORM 2011." I saw Meals on Wheels wasn't delivering yesterday, and I doubt they're delivering today. I'm quickly running out of food (probably have enough to last me until Saturday, but then again, I live within walking distance of a gas station), but I can't imagine what those who depend on others for their food are going through! I hope they either have kind neighbors or their food providers delivered extra before the storm hit.
Most of North Texas experienced some power outage as they did rolling blackouts. I don't understand the whole power system enough to really know why, but they said each outage would only last about 15 minutes. Mine was out at least 2 hours, and another friends was out 3 hours and 20 minutes. Do you know how fast a house can get cold when it's 18 degrees outside?! No fear though, every building associated with the Super Bowl had full power all day- you know...for security reasons.
It's supposed to snow tomorrow. You know you're officially "grown up" when the word "snow" doesn't get you excited anymore. I don't want to go throw snowballs or make snow angels. I just want it to be warm, I want the roads to be clear, and I want to go to work. I'm working from home again but there's just something about getting dressed up and going into the office. I like it and I miss it.
No comments:
Post a Comment