I'm a nerd, I know.
My favorite class in college was Rhetorical Criticism. I loved analyzing ad campaigns and researching what made them work or not work. I actually like watching commercials more than I like watching tv...especially during the Super Bowl!!! There were some fabulous commercials and some not so fabulous commercials. I think the fact that the most popular commercials were the Doritos commercial with the dog knocking the door down and the Bud commercial with the dogs serving beer goes to show that the average American loves dogs and is stupid.
I did laugh out loud at the resurrected grandpa Doritos commercial.
I love ambiguity in advertising (wrote a nerdy paper about it my Junior year if you'd never like to read it...) I personally think the Hundai Elantra ad is fabulous (this one and this one too). They use subliminal messaging to make you think you're buying into some subliminal compact car conspiracy. The Reliant Energy ad that is (not) endorsed by Troy Aikman works really really well too- you can hardly tell Troy is endorsing Reliant.
The Kia Optima and Carmax are growing on me. They're thinkers too- the flow from one scene to the next works a lot like my brain does but I find that normal people in normal conversation don't really follow me there, so I wonder how many people get lost in these ads.
The worst ones by far that really rub me wrong are the Groupon commercials that take actual problems with humanity or the environment and belittle them. The whole thing with Tibet was ridiculous and uncalled for. I'd say the Groupon commercials are actually worse than the Old Navy mannequin commercials. That's why I get my deals from Daily Social, not Groupon.
On the flip side...I LOVE Toyota's commercials "Ideas for Good"- it sort of makes up for Groupon, but not really.
You know who made a smart move?....Crystal Light.
Ocean Spray marked on their box (on the top and the front) that their flavor packets were only 5 calories per serving. Crystal Light's were 10 calories a serving. What did they do? They cut their serving in half. Now, the back says a serving is 1/2 a packet, but so does Ocean Spray's...so they're the same, but stupid shoppers couldn't figure that out before so Crystal Light had to step up their game to compete with Ocean Spray. Good move Crystal Light.
No comments:
Post a Comment