Thursday, March 3

A Week of Birthdays

So this post is going to be chronologically out of order. The post that is still in my head comes before the one I'm writing, but this one is shorter, so it's coming out of my head first.

I know it's silly, but Sunday was my 1/2 birthday. I don't know why I even "observe" my 1/2 birthday. I think, as an August baby I may have been sensitive to the fact that I was always the youngest in my class, so I was so proud of my 1/2 birthday because it meant I was almost as old as the other kids!! I guess my nerdy 1/2 celebration could also be from my mom letting us eat dinner on the "special plate" when I was little on our birthdays and half birthdays. It was just a blue plate with confetti and "Celebrate!" written on it. It still makes me feel special to eat dinner on it :) But I didn't get to on Sunday :(

Today (what's left of it) is Texas' birthday. The grand, great, beautiful state of Texas became the Republic of Texas March 2, 1836!

Texas was an independent nation for a short 9 years (we're still holding out hope that one day we'll regain our independence). While the Republic of Texas, they established an embassy in London which is now a Tex-Mex restaurant called the Texas Embassy (creative, huh?)

When I studied in London for a semester, a group of us went to eat at the embassy to get a tex-mex fix. Emily (on the right) was the other Texan with me in our London group.

Today was also a coworker's birthday. He didn't tell anyone about, but Facebook isn't good at keeping secrets, so we made a big deal of it. Well...as big of a deal as saying "Happy Birthday" and eating lunch at Cane's.

My coworker/friend since birth (Liz) and I decided to bake cupcakes. I think we both crave baking but have no one to bake for (unless we want to bake for ourselves and blow up like blimps). At first, I thought we'd do this collaboratively, but it turned into a bake-off. I'll probably get my tail handed to me because she took a cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby and I don't have cake decorating skills. We asked the birthday boy what his favorite color was and he didn't give a straight answer. The conversation led to tie-dye, which is the inspiration of my cupcakes!!!

I got some white cake mix and NEON food coloring, mixed up the batter and then split it up into 4 bowls (see pic #1). I made deep purple, neon green, turquoise and hot pink! (Perfect boy colors, right!? I know he'll love it!)

So, next picture...I dropped the different colors in random order into the cups and swirled and stirred them with a knife. I completely forgot to take a picture of what they looked like when they got out of the oven, but they basically look like the did when they were uncooked, just a little bigger and...well, more cooked.

Now for the icing...I don't have professional-grade cake decorating tools like my competition, but I split the icing up into 3 bowls and colored them Green Apple, Smoky Blue, and Neon Blue. I put the icing into a ziplock bag, cut the corner and made my own piping bag! The swirled icing didn't look fabulous so I swirled the icing with a spoon and topped with fabulous silver sprinkles!

We'll be operating on a sugar high in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment