I won the creative award. Most people were a little apprehensive to try the "tie-dyed" cupcakes. One co-worker (who.shall.not.be.named) was worried the dye wouldn't make it through the digestive system well (if you know what I mean...). They're just hating on my creativity. They were delicious! And I think they looked good for an amateur if I may say so myself. I think I have a sugar high headache just from smelling sugar all day.
Ok, now to travel back in time. Back when we had Super Storm MMXI, my mom called me to tell me I got a jury summons in the mail. Great....I had to miss work for jury duty on top of having to miss 4 days of work for Super Winter Storm MMXI and then 1 day of work for Mini Winter Storm MMXI the next week, and then after a full week of work I was out an entire week for Super Flu MMXI (that wasn't really the flu but I don't really know what it was so I call it the flu).
I had mixed feelings going into jury duty. On the one hand I have way too much work to do to miss any days, but on the other, I'm a huge fan of the justice system. I think its brilliant that our country allows us to have a free and fair trial by our peers. I'm grateful for that and therefore (as strange as it might be) I'm grateful for the chance to serve on a jury.
I don't really know how to write about this experience. When I got home from the trail (after the case was closed of course) I talked my parents' ears off. Completely. I just kept talking and talking and talking about all the details. Cases fascinate me, and this wasn't even a good case. I got a civil trial.
I'll go ahead and condense the case and ruin the surprise. This woman was turning left, waiting on oncoming traffic to clear when a man driving behind her took his eyes off the road to pick up a water bottle he dropped on the floorboard and when he looked up, saw the stopped car, slammed on the brakes and swerved. Unfortunately for him, he did hit her a little- barely. The lady complained of back problems when she had chronic back problems and multiple sclerosis to begin with. There wasn't a "guilty/not guilty" sentence. We had to decide if the injuries claimed were solely caused by this accident. We said no. And we gave her no money.
Highlights of jury duty:
- When all the jurors of the day were sitting in one big room (like 1,000 people), I was sitting up front by the judge and got to hear everyone's great excuses for trying to get out of jury duty. One of the requirements is you have to be a citizen and you have to be able to read and write (in English). There were quite a few...well, I'm from Texas...you know. They tried to get out of jury duty by saying they didn't know English well. The judge said, "Did you fill out your summons card by yourself?" "Yes" "Well this is wonderful! You did so well! Sit down, you're still in!" HAHAHA
- 2 of the 36 jurors on my jury panel fell asleep during voire dire (where they question the jurors to see if you'll be biased)
- I see no strategy in actually picking the jury. Two people who admitted that they would probably be biased in one way or another during voire dire were chosen for the jury. I was number 21 and they only needed 12. Tell me how I got picked as #12?
- This lady had the world's worst (or most selective) memory and the worst hearing. She actually put her ear up to the microphone like it would help her hear. Interestingly, she could understand her own attorney pretty well, but not the defending council. He did have a southern accent, but it wasn't that bad.
- I loved the nonverbal communication in the courtroom. I actually think that's how all cases are decided. The plaintiff's refusal to respond to the defending council's questions and her awful memory ruined her credibility. I get it if you don't remember much about the accident, but if you don't remember multiple car accidents, your medications, your doctors, or even if you took your mom the loaf of bread after the accident....come on! What DO you remember about the past 5 years?
- I loved how the attorneys made strategic eye contact with the jury. During one of the painful moments of silence when the plaintiff refused to answer (but she was really just pretending like she didn't hear), the defending council saw me make a face. I think he saw me make several faces (I'm a really easy person to read). I think I actually became his "go to girl" for a reaction. Never let me play poker- at least not for money.
- During one recess I got to watch a bunch of 50 year olds on the jury play Angry Birds. Definite highlight of my day.
- It's funny how the smartphone has replaced the endless trail of photos of kids and grandkids people used to keep in their wallets. Why yes...I'd love to see your entire family and all their birthday cakes.
- We had a fun jury. How often does a group of 12 strangers from a wide age range and a variety of education levels and jobs get along as well as we do? We spent maybe 20 minutes deliberating. We probably only needed 7- it was an easy case.
- If jury duty paid better, I'd want to be a professional juror. I like to listen and observe.

Hate you didn't have a murder case...
ReplyDelete