Growing up in Fort Worth, it was only natural to hate on Dallas. Dallas is snooty, high-class, fast-paced, and always has the worst traffic. Fort Worth has more of a suburban feel, it's family-oriented, and people actually know how to drive. I hate when people try to mesh Dallas and Fort Worth together. Yes, we share an airport, but it isn't in Dallas OR Fort Worth. It annoys me when people from out of state have never heard of Fort Worth and I have to say, "It's right by Dallas." Who are these people that have NEVER heard of Ft. Worth!? I had one friend who was convinced I was from Dallas, despite my persistent protests. They're 2 different cities!
I've come to realize that Dallas isn't as awful as I grew up thinking. Don't tell Fort Worth, but I actually kinda love Dallas. I especially love the Dallas North Tollway that runs straight through town. It feels wrong to go driving through town at 70mph, but you're on a tollway! It makes getting into town so fast, so I don't even feel like I live way north of town. It's probably really weird of me to love a tollway.
I went to the Dallas Farmers Market (DFM) this morning. Yes, I realize it is Sunday morning, but I've decided to go to church on Sunday nights, when mega-churches are much less intimidating. I went to the evening service last week, was a few minutes late, and STILL was able to find a seat on the lower level! Anyway, I went to the market, which is on the south side of downtown. Driving in, downtown looked deserted (of course, it was Sunday morning...) and suddenly I was second guessing this whole market idea. There were a lot more people at the DFM than I thought, lots of families. There were tons of farmers selling produce hustling me to try some watermelon, pineapple, mango, oranges...you name it! I got some grapes, bananas, and, of course, mangoes! The mangoes were more expensive than in the grocery store, but they were bigger, more ripe, and hey, I was supporting my local farmers! I can never pass up a good mango! (I even got some mango gelato made with organic milk and eggs before I left! It wasn't as good as Della Palma in Rome, but it was pretty good). I would've gotten some more veggies, but I still have my green beans from Austin and I was getting really tired of the hustling. I wonder if you can barter? That would make it so much more fun! I feel so awkward when people are trying to get me to buy stuff from them but I don't need a WHOLE barrel of strawberries! I definitely need to take a friend with me next time!
Oh, I bought this roasted garlic linguine from the cutest old man! I met a really nice bread lady who said in a couple of weeks they're going to get a permanent booth at the market and they'll have all kinds of bread, and they'll have their slicer so they can cut it for you! (Yes....I do realize that getting excited over freshly sliced bread DOES make me a major nerd!)
I'm still intimidated by the whole market experience, so I'm taking a friend with me next week! Let me know if you want to come!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment