Tuesday, July 6

I was made for sunny days.

My friend introduced me to a new Denton-based radio station (91.7 FM) that plays cool indie music. I heard this song this morning and fell in love with the Weepies.

I went to the market, the world was threatening rain. I was late to that station, swore I'd miss that train. And the streets filled with umbrellas and we all looked the same. But I'm the one whose waiting till the sun comes out again.

CHORUS: I say, I was made for sunny days. I may do it great, but I didn't stay. I was made for sunny days, and I was made for you.

Found the look you gave me, when we were first in bloom; when I thought that you might save me from the dark side of the moon. Instead we both went walking to the shadows and the plume, and we never did stop talking; you still light up the moon.

Ooo ooo-oo-oo the nights are longer. Ooo ooo-oo-oo you make me stronger. And the late light lingers on the grass. And the nights are dark but then they pass. They don't seem so deep. I'm still losing sleep, but I don't mind, no, I don't mind.

I got you a winter jacket that I really wears around, and we chase him through the spring time when the sleeves drag on the ground. And every hour we're working, and work and play abound. And every day is Sunday 'cause the sun, comes dancing down.



Love it! I found this song too, but it's slightly more depressing....or empowering, whichever way you want to look at it. It's "You Can't Go Back Now":
Yesterday, when you were young/ Everything you needed done was done for you/ Now you do it on your own/ But you find you're all alone/ What can you do?

You and me walk on/ Cause you can't go back now.

You know there will be days when you're so tired that you can't take another step/ The night will have no stars and you'll think you've gone as far as you will ever get

But you and me walk on/ Cause you can't go back now/ And yeah, yeah, go where you want to go/ Be what you want to be,/ If you ever turn around, you'll see me.

I can't really say why everybody wishes they were somewhere else/ But in the end, the only steps that matter are the ones you take all by yourself

And you and me walk on/ Yeah you and me walk on/ Cause you can't go back now/ Walk on, walk on, walk on/ You can't go back now

__________________________________________________


I don't mean to get all weird or anything, but life after college is still surreal. I grew up at a church that sits right on TCU's campus, so I grew up (literally from birth to high school) passing through this college campus week after week. I always thought college kids looked so old. In high school, I thought all the college boys were so cute, and I thought the college kids who worked with the youth group were so cool and I couldn't wait to be like them and be independent...yada yada yada. So, the weekend before last, I went to a wedding at the church I grew up in, and passed through the campus like I did all those other weeks growing up. We passed a sign for freshmen orientation and it hit me.... I did that. I've been there, I'm done with that, I'm older than these people I grew up thinking were so old. (My DEEPEST apologies if you actually ARE old and I'm making you feel older).


I'll go ahead and blame the media because they're the easiest to blame. They makes kids think high school is the bomb dot com (it's not). Then college is seen as "the best days of your life" (and they were pretty awesome), but I'm not buying into the idea that at 21 this is it. 


I hate that all the graduation paraphernalia says stuff like "You did it! Bravo! You're done!" I didn't do anything (other than get a degree, which, granted, is kind of a big deal.) I just feel like now that I've spent a short amount of time in the workforce, I've seen how far I can go in the future, and my "accomplishments" pale in comparison to what I hope to accomplish one day. I'll try desperately not to turn this next idea into a college paper, but that's why I see the song "You Can't Go Back Now" as both REALLY depressing and really empowering. College was great. I feel like in my fourth year, I grew out of it (I don't know if I grew out of Samford or just the college experience in general, but I was ready to move on come graduation day). It would have been easy to stay in Birmingham and cruise through life at some job I halfway liked just because I was comfortable in Birmingham, but I honestly think leaving was the best thing I could do for myself at that time. I'm going back this weekend, just passing through really, for a wedding, but it is true I can't go back. It's not the same.


"In the end the only steps that really matter are the ones you take all by yourself." I was really nervous on graduation day about moving to Dallas and starting over. While my family and high school friends are about an hour away, I'm still really proud of myself for moving out here "alone." I like being independent and it took interrupting my comfortable life in Birmingham to remind myself what I'm capable of doing. I tweeted back in May "Sometimes familiarity and comfort need to be challenged," and I really think that's where we grow the most.


I'm sorry I got all deep and personal. I think I needed this pep talk more for myself than anything, so I could care less if it gets read. To sum it up, I'm happy. I'm in a good place, and I'm really optimistic. It's all about keeping a positive perspective! 

No comments:

Post a Comment