Tuesday, April 19

Gulp of (not so) fresh....water?

Today all day at work I was starving, and I think I ate everything in sight. I could've eaten a horse, but we don't keep those around the office. BUT I felt so disgusting when I got home.

Solution? 2 hours at the gym. Well...maybe 2 hours. Some elliptical, some weights, some more elliptical and then a few laps topped off with a little yoga when I got home.

I didn't think the pool would be crowded at 9:30, but it was so, I hung out in the hot tub (I'd only do that if it was empty and luckily it was!) After about 15 minutes, a lane opened, so I grabbed it. It was me and 3 guys about my age in the pool. They weren't hard core- no swim caps or goggles. They didn't even swim 2 consecutive laps.

I could tell they were watching me. I look like I'm legit because I do wear a swim cap and goggles. I let them think what they want, but if they watch me too long, they'll figure out I'm not headed for the Olympics anytime soon.

I ignored the boys and kept swimming. They went into the sauna and I could tell they were still watching me through the steamy glass. I pulled out the big guns- the butterfly. (Let's be clear... I'm going for tough workout b/c I felt disgusting, I'm not trying to show off for these guys....please, I'm wearing a 1 piece swimsuit and a swim cap. I'm sure my mascara was all over my face and I looked utterly adorable).

Anyway, I do my lap of the butterfly towards the sauna, making sure to pull out of the water like all the really cool pictures of the awesome swimmers. I saw one of the guys in the sauna come stand at the glass as if he'd never seen anyone do the butterfly as gracefully as me (uh...yeah Hayley....that's it).

I could see a wave in front of me carving out a path for me as I made my way to the other end. There was the wall...one last stroke...come up for air....OH NO, the wave had hit the wall and it came crashing straight into my mouth. I coughed up a TON of water but then I still had about a pint lodged in my windpipe. Great finale. Now they all know you're not awesome.

I played it off with an easy breaststroke back...ya know, just in case I died from choking on water, I'd die doing an easy stroke. Needless to say, that was my last lap of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment