I started my first post-grad job yesterday at Dell Perot Systems as a Fellow (YAY).
DAY 1:
I know it's lame, but I had NO idea what to wear the first day (yeah, I'm a girl. I know.) I haven't had time to shop for "business casual" (whatever that is) because my sister just got married last weekend (GORGEOUS wedding p.s......probably more on wedding later). I bought some clothes online, and picked them up @ the a-p-t office, but STILL couldn't figure out what to wear. I haven't changed outfits that many times since picture day in 10th grade! I made a oopsie by ironing my new silk shirt and it looks like a cat took some claws to it! Hope they'll take that one back. The customer is always right, right? So I got it that way.
When I pulled up to work I followed the parking signs for Associates. I know it was a little ambitious to think I could actually park with the Associates on my first day. I pulled up to the barricade and the guard gate that doesn't actually have a guard sitting in it and picked up the little phone that was sitting there. An automated message told me they'd send me to someone, but they didn't, so I hung up and tried again. Once I talked to someone, they kindly told me I was to park in Visitor parking. I hadn't seen the 6 cars of REAL Associates behind me waiting to get into the Associates parking lot! Yes, I had to reverse, and the 6 other cars had to reverse so I could go find my visitor's spot.
Nothing else bad or embarrassing happened (thank goodness!) So, the only thing left to write about is orientation and the free lunch we got in the caf, but I'll spare you. But I do feel like I learned more in the 4 hours I was there than I did in my 4 years of college...okay, maybe not necessarily, but I had a ton of information thrown at me, and its still seeping in.
There is a hall in the office called "Texas Hall." You'd understand why if you saw it. It makes me proud to be a Texan and proud to be back here. The lyrics of "Texas our Texas" line the walls w/ old Texas flags, pics of oil rigs, and other Texas paraphernalia.
Day 2:
We (the other fellows and I) don't have our laptops yet, so it makes doing work difficult. I got to clean out the copy room! The highlight of my day was seeing THE Ross Perot in the cafeteria. I think it was right as I was telling my fellow Fellow, Daniel, that I didn't think I would recognize Mr. Perot if I ever saw him. I should be able to because there are plenty of pictures of him around. My first clue that it was him was he was the best dressed man in the room. He was wearing a navy suit (other men just in shirts and ties....well, and pants of course), and he had an American flag pin on his suit. He said "hi" to people at the tables around us and they referred to him as "sir." I said "Daniel, I think that was him. He's about to walk by the trash cans"(which were in his line of sight). Daniel confirmed that is was in fact him, and I picked up my phone to Tweet it, so this whole story is a little redundant because my sole reader (yes, you Hannah) already knows I saw him via Tweet.
On the topic of Twitter, I think I might be tweeting for Dell, so follow us when I start tweeting!
I need to make my blog cute! I'll be working on it.
Side note: I'm NOT a fan of the new Sonic commercials that throw Wendy's under the bus because Sonic has "REAL" ice cream and "others don't". I honestly don't care that it is a chocolate mix that freezes. Its soft serve which means fewer calories than the real deal. I'll stick with my frosty, thanks Sonic, because your REAL ice cream isn't that great, and you never put enough Reese's or M&Ms in your Blasts!
I'll try to make my life more exciting so my blog can be more exciting. Miss you Hannah!
Hayley! I love it. You're so young professional. I'm very pleased with your blog progress. Now, for the next steps: Customize. I need to see a profile picture. Also, there's this neat thing called "color." Give it a shot. As I said, though, I'm very pleased. This was an enjoyable read. Oh yes... I'd love to see photos of the A-P-T.
ReplyDeleteIf you get to be the twitterer for Dell, you will be quite possibly the coolest person I know (not that you aren't already that person.) And don't worry about only having one reader. My mom wants to follow you as well. Can't wait to see what adventures you encounter tomorrow! And is Daniel that guy from the commercials who got busted for drug use? If so, proceed with caution.
Love!