Tuesday, September 14

When Lighting Strikes

Good News: I can row really really really fast across a lake without falling in!!!!

Today's rowing session went really well. I started out slow, but ended up in the middle of the lake (which pros hate because they end up hitting you!) Once I got back by the shore, I was behind the others, so I was rowing solo, but I did pretty well out on my own. I was enjoying releasing all my stress from a long work day. The sun was gorgeous on the water!

I made it up one side of the lake, crossed, and ended up staying too close to the shore. I found myself stuck with a underwater cardboard box on one side of my boat and a tree truck on the other, with my left oar stuck in the weeds. Don't even ask me how I got myself out of that one. Before I figured it out, I looked at the walkers on the shore looking for a sympathetic passerby, but all I got were friendly smiles and I'm sure they were thinking, "Well...let's how she gets herself out of that one!"

The Southwest airplanes were low on the water (there is just a dirt road separating the lake and the airport runway). I saw a flash of light....it was just the airplane "tail lights," right? The sky might have started to look a little darker, but the sun was setting, and the instructor had a lightning detector. She said we'd never go on the water if there was even a hint of lightning.

I kept wondering where our teacher was. I guess she was keeping up with the other 2 students and just trusted me? I heard her boat come up behind me. "PUSH HARDER! COME ON! PUSH WITH YOUR LEGS! I'VE GOT LIGHTNING ON THE WATER! YOU'RE A HUGE LIGHTNING ROD OUT HERE!!!!" (I don't think she meant that as a fat joke).

She said to forget all lake rules- I was to cut across the lake and row as fast as possible to the dock (which was still so far out I couldn't even see it!)

ROW ROW ROW.

The sky was getting darker! PUSH! I was sweating. PUSH HARDER! I caught a couple clams, but I fixed my oars before they could suck me into the water. It was bad enough I was out on the water in a boat- I couldn't afford to be in the water without a boat!

I made it to the dock. I'm still not good at backing into the dock, so as soon as I was close enough, the teacher pulled me in. I docked and Mark and I took his boat to the boathouse. As soon as I turned around a huge gust of wind blew my hat off and sand/gravel into my eyes and the temperature dropped 20 degrees! Lynne and Lisa grabbed my boat and Mark and I ran back to the dock to grab the oars and our shoes. The sky was dark and the waves were rough.

We had docked just in time. There was no way I could've survived against those waves (ducks were being washed onto the dock!)

I couldn't see the road or hear my radio the entire way home, but I'm home safe nonetheless.

Nothin' like a little fear of being electrocuted to make you put your back into it (literally!)

No comments:

Post a Comment