Sunday, November 7

Old Friends

So that whole deal about me posting a different Weepies song every day didn't quite work out because I slacked off on my trip to Birmingham, but the break from the Internet was refreshing.

The whole weekend was just really refreshing in general. I've only taken 2 days off since I started my job on June 1, and I really needed Friday off. It was great. I got some good sister time, I got to visit with my favorite professors (yes, I'm a nerd), and I got to see my wonderful friends!

Going back to see my professors made me realize what made Samford so special. I'm always hearing my coworkers talk about their state school experiences, and yeah, its sad that I missed out on the Big 12 football rivalries and Samford football isn't much to write home about, but I walked away from college with more than just school spirit. Samford isn't the kind of place you can show up on the first day of class and for every test and still make it out of the class okay. You can't just "borrow" an old test from your sorority sisters and expect an 'A'. Samford professors know you. I went to a number of Samford prof's homes- including the President of the university! I babysat for my professors, I ate around their tables. I can tell you the names of my favorite professors children. I had several professors multiple times...a couple I had back to back classes with, which wasn't always as fun as it may sound. At Samford, my professors were my teachers, my mentors, my advisors, my guides, and now they're my friends. It was good to visit with them. They played a big part in getting me to where I am today, and I'm thankful for them.

I had some good conversations with my ol' girlfriends. These girls are the friends that I may or may not have the time to see or talk to much when we're grown and have our own families, but I know that no matter how much time goes by between our visits, we can sit down and pick up where we left off- talking 100mph until....well...we may just never stop. I'm so glad to have those close friendships, and I was truly blessed by our conversations this weekend and just the time I got to spend with them (over some great food!)

No comments:

Post a Comment